Wednesday, August 3, 2011
death and dying
I knew a year ago that my granny's time was coming to an end. I knew that her body was no longer strong or willing to follow her commands. I knew her spirit was broken and ready to go home for healing. I also knew that poppy would never willingly let her go. He fought. He fought for over a year to heal her earthly body. He got up her up everyday, dressed her, bathed her, fed her, took her to doctors and to therapy. He gave up sleep, health for himself, and life was just for her day and night. Everyday he would tell me, "we're making it, we'll be okay". Later the words changed, he painfully and hesitantly said, "granny's not doing too good but we'll be okay". And then they day came when it was 'those words', "hun, I don't think your granny is going to get any better. I can't get her to eat and I can't get her out of the bed anymore." On Monday I got the call that hospice was starting, Tuesday was the call to come home and Wednesday I said my last words to my granny. Bitter sweet. She left us to go home to her heavenly family; her mom and dad and brothers who have already passed away. She was no longer in her painfilled earthly body but in the arm of Jesus, the one who takes away all pain. I no longer have my granny here. But she is still granny. She has two babies in heaven who need to be spoiled and now they will know the granny who raised me. One day when I see her again she will be holding my little baby that I never got to meet. She will tell baby Chris and cousin Levi all the stories of their family still on earth. She will watch over us and carry our prayers to her mom who in turn will carry them to her mom and so forth until Mary our mother hears them.
I am sad. I am happy. I feel the loneliness of her absence. I now live without her here but know that she is waiting for me. Now I have an even greater reason to follow the cross. I can't imagine all of eternity without her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment