While I was preparing dinner, Noah was folding a load of laundry and the other kids were off in the playroom cleaning (sure they were). Noah starts a conversation and I was only half listening b/c I knew it would turn into something about Pokemon. And then I heard what he was saying, put down my utensils and went to help fold laundry for a minute. So here is part of our conversation.
"Mom, when did you start liking boys?"
What do you mean?
"You know, how you like dad."
I don't know, maybe at your age I'd think a boy was cute and giggle with my friends about it. (I am totally thinking I am never telling you that I had a 'boyfriend' in middle school.) I think you can like a girl more than you like other girls but that you are still friends. You can like a girl and want to hang out and get to know her but really liking/loving will be something that happens much later. (Maybe when you are 30).
"Oh, okay."
Do you have a girl that you like more than the other girls that you hang out with?
"Yes, not really, just friends."
Okay. (Now it is totally killing me here not to ask who. He literally knows 5 girls that are close to his age.)
Noah goes back to talking about something else and I go back to cooking.
***
I have totally been afraid of having this type of conversation with my kids but I think it well. I am sure that Jake will be a totally different story. He will come home one day and say my girlfriend's name is ? and we've been going steady for a year now. I already know Lucy has her eye on Grant, so I am waiting for the day Grant has a girlfriend and Lucy's heart is crushed. Aidan and Peter are too far away from even going there; of course I think they all are too young.
No comments:
Post a Comment