Friday, March 12, 2010
Amnesia..... Really!
When your child comes in crying and dragging a leg you don't think ER. Well, that is where we ended up. Jake came to me crying hard and limping. So, I am thinking that he fell and hurt his leg. Me "Jake, did you fall down?" Jake "Yes, I fell in the hallway". Me "Let me see your leg." Jake "My leg doesn't hurt, my head hurts." Now I am getting a little concerned about why he was dragging his leg if his head hurt. So I start down the list of things to look for with a head injury. Pupils, okay. Say your name, okay. Try walking, okay that's better. So, with all of that out of the way I start trying to find out what happened. Jake just starts crying that he just wants to eat lunch. Reluctantly, I tell him to sit down and eat just crackers. I keep setting up the lunch and he keeps crying. "I want to eat my lunch" Me "Jake, I told you could eat the crackers" "oh" He starts crying again. He could seem to understand that I had told him he could eat. Now I am really scared and so I start asking him "what did you do in Botany?" he can't answer, "what did you do for your book report" he answers "what book report." Now, I am up on my feet and heading to the ER. Our homeschool friends take Noah, Lucy and Aidan and I head to the ER with Jake and Peter. On the way I keep asking Jake questions. Asking him things really made him upset so I put on a movie and asked him to tell me about it. We're getting on the interstate and Jake asks "Why did we leave, where are we going?" I pulled all of my strength together and answered calmly "we're going to meet daddy and the other kids stayed with Nancy." Jake "why are we going to meet dad?" Me, "you bumped you head and I want the dr to just check it out, just like they did with Lucy." Jake starts watching the movie. Two minutes later "mom, why did we leave, where are we going?" I just wanted to cry but I just answered him same way as before. This went on for at least 5 times. He was starting to get scared b/c I think I was starting to show that I was scared. I tried to be strong but I think I was starting to pass on my anxiety b/c Jake started telling me "mom, I know lots and lots of things." Michael met us at the hospital. Jake was really out of it for a while. All of a sudden he just came around and started talking and acting like Jake again. Wow, a flood of relief came over me. It was so great to see that he was okay. The dr ran a bunch of test and a scan of his head. Everything was fine. One question the dr asked Jake was to say his phone number backwards. He did it and the dr said "wow, I don't think I could do that." Jake is fine now and life is back on track. Now Noah and Aidan have flu symptoms. There is always something going on around here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment