Peter enjoyed his first birthday Krispy Kreme donut. Yeah!
Memories...
I can remember the excitment and stress like it was yesterday. Planning my first born's 1st birthday. Noah was the first grandchild for both of our families, he was our first and it had to be done right. Many people were invited, mostly family since we were in Mobile for the holidays. Shelley knew just what needed to be done and she had everything you could possibly think of for a baby's first birthday party. I hovered like the first time mom that I was. I didn't wanted to miss a single breath, sound, expression or crumb that he made. It was the milestone of the year. I had made it. I was a mom of a 1year old, a toddler. I remember being so worried that my son would not get the most out of his first birthday. I allowed myself to be that mommy monster that everyone talks about, the one that thinks her child is the only child ever to turn 1.
I remember Jake's first birthday. So relaxing, peaceful and fun. He got to celebrate his birthday with his godparents. We just had the best casual fun with family and no expectations. I remember feeling a little guilty that I didn't do the big party but then I remembered that it was more about celebrating what we had, a blessing from God. It wasn't about who you invited, what cake you had, what the baby was wearing. I had made it to another big milestone, I had gotten over being a 1st time mom. Whew!
Lucy's b'day was a little more of a big deal. By then we had friends in Atlanta and we had our older kids who could help celebrate. Lucy got two special celebrations. First the boys and I had a picnic in the yard and let Lucy just have at a box of cookies. It was just a fun day playing and eating. We did end up having a party at the park with our Atlanta friends. Our only little girl deserved a little bit of extra attention.
Now back to the relaxing hanging out with friends for Aidan. The Kuemmerles came over and Grant celebrated being two and Aidan 1. That was nice and easy, I didn't even have to make a cake (Daniel did).
Peter, well he is number 5, he just got the immediate family party. No balloons, invitations, no birthday hat, nothing. We knew Michael was going to be late from work so we celebrated with donuts for breakfast. Peter had his own cheering section that was probably louder than the Vrazels at an Alabama football game. It was great. He gently probed the chocolate glazed donut and just stared at all of us. Finally got a taste and knew it was worth trying. He picked little bites off until he realized what was on the inside. And then it was gone. He ate the whole thing. On a great sugar high, he crawled around and played for an hour and then passed out. His first real experience with sugar was a great one. It might not have been a elaborate planned out event or even shared with anyone outside our home but he has learned that Krispy Kreme has the best thing he has ever eaten.
All in all I think 1st b'days are great. You get to see that look of delight when they get that first real taste of the good stuff. You get to let out a little sigh of relief and sadness. You have made it a whole year when in the beginning you didn't think you'd make it one more day. You think about how hard you prayed just to make it to bedtime and then pray that actually got some sleep. You also think about how they are no longer babies. They are now counting the time with years instead of months, wow how quickly time flies.
I have learned that one year old babies would prefer less of a celebration. Too much of one almost stresses them out. Happy Birthday Peter and Jake!
ReplyDelete